As the nights grow longer and the air grows cooler, there's one thing that's on everyone's mind: Halloween. And what better way to celebrate this spine-tingling holiday than with a good old-fashioned movie marathon?
At Tech Sofa, we've compiled the ultimate Halloween watchlist - a collection of bone-chilling tales guaranteed to send shivers down your spine. From classics like Halloween and Nightmare on Elm Street, to newer releases, these films are sure to satisfy your craving for all things spooky and chilled. So set your electric recliner into recline, stock up on popcorn, grab a cosy blanket, and prepare to be thoroughly terrified. Happy Halloween!
Modern Halloween Movies
- Get Out (2017) - A thought-provoking horror film that follows a young African-American man as he visits his white girlfriend's family estate, only to discover the terrifying secrets lurking within.
- The Conjuring (2013) - Based on a true story, this paranormal thriller delves into the experiences of paranormal investigators Ed and Lorraine Warren as they attempt to help a family terrorized by a dark presence in their farmhouse.
- A Quiet Place (2018) - In a post-apocalyptic world, a family is forced to live in silence while hiding from creatures that hunt by sound, adding a nerve-wracking layer of tension to every scene.
- Midsommar (2019) - This unsettling folk horror film takes viewers on a disturbing journey to a remote Swedish village where a summer solstice festival takes a bizarre and terrifying turn.
- The Babadook (2014) - A psychological horror film that explores the terrifying consequences of repressed grief and trauma, centring around a single mother and her son who are haunted by a mysterious presence.
Classic Halloween Movies
- Psycho (1960) - Alfred Hitchcock's masterpiece that introduces the iconic character Norman Bates and the Bates Motel, weaving a chilling tale of suspense and psychological horror.
- The Exorcist (1973) - Regarded as one of the scariest movies of all time, this classic follows the terrifying possession of a young girl and the desperate attempts to save her soul.
- Halloween (1978) - The quintessential slasher film that introduces the infamous masked killer, Michael Myers, as he wreaks havoc on the town of Haddonfield, Illinois.
- The Texas Chain Saw Massacre (1974) - A raw and gritty horror film that follows a group of friends who encounter a family of cannibals while visiting an old homestead, setting the standard for the slasher genre.
- Night of the Living Dead (1968) - George A. Romero's groundbreaking zombie film established the modern concept of the zombie apocalypse, setting the stage for countless undead thrillers to come.
Kids Halloween Movies
- Coraline (2009) - An animated dark fantasy film that follows a young girl's discovery of a parallel world that seems to offer everything she desires, but with sinister secrets lurking beneath the surface.
- The Nightmare Before Christmas (1993) - A Tim Burton classic that combines the worlds of Halloween and Christmas, following the misadventures of Jack Skellington, the Pumpkin King, as he tries to bring Christmas to Halloween Town.
- Hocus Pocus (1993) - A family-friendly Halloween comedy that follows the mischievous adventures of three witch sisters resurrected in Salem, Massachusetts, and the kids who must stop them.
- Casper (1995) - A heartwarming tale of a friendly ghost named Casper who befriends a young girl and her father, bringing a blend of humour and warmth to the Halloween season.
- Monster House (2006) - An animated film that revolves around three kids who discover that their neighbour's house is a living, breathing monster, leading them on a spooky and adventurous journey.
- Stranger Things (2016 - ) - This popular Netflix series is a nostalgic homage to '80s pop culture and horror, featuring supernatural occurrences in the small town of Hawkins, Indiana, and a group of kids who confront otherworldly threats.
- American Horror Story (2011 - ) - A groundbreaking anthology series that reinvents itself each season, diving into various horrifying and supernatural themes, from haunted houses to witches, asylums, and cults.
- The Haunting of Hill House (2018) - Based on Shirley Jackson's novel, this chilling series follows a group of siblings who grew up in the most famous haunted house in the country, confronting their past and the ghosts that still haunt them.
- Chilling Adventures of Sabrina (2018 - 2020) - A darker take on the classic Sabrina the Teenage Witch series, focusing on Sabrina's struggle to reconcile her dual nature as a half-witch, half-mortal, while dealing with the dark forces that threaten her and her family.
- The Walking Dead (2010 - ) - Set in a post-apocalyptic world overrun by zombies, this series follows a group of survivors as they navigate the challenges of the new world, including not just the undead but other surviving groups with their own agendas, akin to the chilling atmosphere of Halloween.
Top Tier Series
Catering to the preferences of individuals in pursuit of an immersive experience delving into the complexities of a disconcerting dystopian society amidst the festive holiday ambience, the heart-racing and pulse-pounding Purge series, with its riveting exploration of societal breakdown and cathartic mayhem, or the exhilarating and suspense-laden narrative of The Last of Us video game series, which intricately weaves a tale of survival in a post-apocalyptic world fraught with danger, serve as impeccable and indispensable components to augment the exhilaration of your Halloween series marathon.
Gather your courage, dim the lights, and immerse yourself in these bone-chilling tales this Halloween. Happy viewing, and may your holiday be filled with just the right amount of fright!